In order to easily set up products, it is necessary to understand how they are related to other essential entities in your system. The Product is an item you are selling; therefore, everything for which you charge a fee has to be a product in your system. So even if you don't use the store, you still need products for registration fees, application fees, etc.
The price for a product is not directly entered on the Product form because you may want to charge different prices for the same product. For example, you may want to charge Members $75 to attend a lecture, but charge Non-Members $100 to attend the same lecture. The product (the lecture) is the same, but the price is different.
For this reason, there are separate forms that record the price for products: these forms are called Price List Items. A group of price list items comprise a Price List. For example, the Member Price List would contain several Price List Items, each with a price that corresponds to a Product a Member could purchase. The Non-Member price list may contain Price List Items that correspond to the same Products as the Member's, but the Non-Member Price List Items would differ because the prices for the Products are higher for a Non-Member than a Member. The relationship between these entities has a strong impact on how to set up a product.
Create a Product
For more details on the Product entity including field descriptions, click here.
- Navigate to Sales > Products.
- Click the +New button in the ribbon bar. A blank product form will open.
- Fill out the fields in the form. Those marked with a red asterisk (*) are required; fields marked with a plus sign (+) are recommended.
- Click Save to enable the Price List Item Tool Bar.
Add a Price List Item to a Product
Note: In order to give a Product a price, you must assign it to a Price List Item. Each Price List Item must be contained by a Price List. So, before you can give a product a price, you must create a price list. If you have not already created a Price List, go here.
- On the Product form, in the Price List Item toolbar click on the + sign.
- Fill out the fields in the Price list Item Form. Those marked with a red asterisk (*) are required.
- Click Save or Save & Close.
- Repeat this process for as many Price List Items (prices) you wish to charge for this Product.
- You can view the Price List items assigned to the product when you open the product and look at the entries under the Price List Items Toolbar.
Note: The List Price field on the Product form is NOT where the price is pulled from. The price is pulled from the Amount of the appropriate Price List Item.