Cobalt's Accounting module allows you to create Batches, which group accounting transactions based on defined logic. The hierarchy of logic first uses manual batch assignment on the payment and refund records, then batch definitions, and finally the default batch.
You can manually assign payments and refunds by using the lookup field, Manual Batch, on each record. Simply select the batch into which you'd like each payment or refund to go and click OK.
Use Batch Definitions to set up rules for the grouping of various accounting transactions. Batch Definitions are query based, so the definition you establish will contain certain criteria for a particular entity.
Create a Batch Definition and Save.
- Name - The name of the Batch Definition.
- Prefix - Enter a prefix to appear as the Batch ID when generated. The ID will follow the convention of “[prefix]MDDYYYY." For example, the default prefix for invoices is INV, and default batches for invoices appear as “INVMMDDYYYY.”
- Sort Order - If more than one Batch Definition exists, this field designates the order in which the Batch Definition queries are evaluated.
- Entity - The entity for which this Batch Definition applies. Ex: Invoices.
The entities available for batch definitions are:
- Invoice Payment
- Revenue Recognition
- Invoice Credit
Set the Query for your batch definition by clicking the more buttons button and selecting View Query.
For transactions that do not meet any queries defined in Batch Definitions, or if there are no Batch Definitions, transactions will be grouped according to the logic for Default Batches. This logic groups transactions by type and day. If multiple batches of the same type and day occur, they will be designated with an alpha-suffix (ex: APP01072014-A, APP01072014-B)
- If the Batch is of the type Invoice, the name will be “INVMMDDYYYY.”
- If the Batch is of the type Payment, the name will be “PMTMMDDYYYY.”
- If the Batch is of the type InvoicePayment, the name will be “APPMMDDYYYY."
- If the Batch is of the type Refund, the name will be “PMTMMDDYYYY.”
- If the Batch is of the type Revenue Recognition, the name will be “INVMMDDYYYY.”
- If the Batch is of the type Credit, the name will be “CRDMMDDYYYY.”
- If the Batch is of the type InvoiceCredit, the name will be “APCMMDDYYYY.”