2. In the left side menu click on the arrow beside entities to view all entities available to you.
3. Select the arrow next to the Entity you wish to Customize and then click Fields and then click New.
4. Give your field a Display Name and then click anywhere else on the form to automatically fill in the Name field.
5. Select Field Requirement
- Optional - The field does not need to be completed to save the form.
- Business Recommended - The field is not required but will have a blue plus sign to remind people that the information is important and it is a recommended field.
- Business Required - The field must contain data in order for the form to be saved.
6. Select the Data Type (other fields will adjust based on the data type you select)
For more information on the types of fields this blog post from Hitachi Solutions gives a good description of each.http://blog.customereffective.com/blog/2013/05/data-types-available-with-microsoft-dynamics-crm-2011.html
7. In most cases you can leave the remaining fields to their defaulted positions.
- Searchable -- should the field be available in advanced finds even if it isn't displayed on the form? Yes is the default, but you can change this to No.
- Field Security - do you need to restrict who can view or edit this field? If so Enable and follow the directions in the link, if not, leave at the default Disable.
- Auditing - should this field be available for auditing? If the entity is not, then it won't work, but if you have the entity enabled for auditing then this field can be part of that history or not.
- Description - you can add a description of the field.